Monday 21 February 2011

Octopus Suckers

I have decided to grasp this tentacles/suckers idea by the horns and see where it takes me...I really enjoyed working with the cones in the workshop and because of their shape, they are really easy to manipulate and expand a paper piece with. I decided to look back at my image of tentacles and suckers from my sketchbook as inspiration...







The octopus suckers are very repetitional and are perfect for this "Repeat" brief. All of the suckers are generally the same size which is why recreating them out of my cone idea really works...


I first tried out experimentation of the cone idea using different stock

 These look really effective but I think I am going to stick with the white paper as it gives the piece a more modern and contemporary effect. 



I started by using two different shapes of circles. This will give the piece and interesting effect, as all of the cones will be varying in size.














Above you can see my rapidly expanding piece of paper art. This is now roughly the size of a rugby ball. My idea is to expand the piece into an abstract tentacle shape, made from my cone suckers. I will upload my sketchbook page of design ideas on my next blog update. The piece photographs really well due to the staggered layers and angles of the cones.

No comments:

Post a Comment