Monday 24 January 2011

A Spot Of Initial Research

I have just began a bit of a late night trawl through some research trying to get a bit of inspiration. The first place I always look is google which brings up a massive range of ideas, especially when you type in "paper art". I was immediately drawn to the work of Su Blackwell.

Above you can see one of my favourite pieces of her work which is called "The Twelve Dancing Princesses". This piece is very inspirational and is closely linked to this project in relation to the lighting and obviously the materials being used. The soft lighting in the background really adds to the mood of the piece.
Her main body of work takes place in these beautiful books, where she carefully cuts out the shapes to create these amazing scenes. After doing a bit of reading about Su Blackwell, I discovered she likes to read the books and base the artwork around a part of the story. I think this is a beautiful was of making art and is definitely something I want to look into further.

1 comment: